Join the International Trade Trainee Development Programme
The Department for International Trade (DIT) is responsible for delivering UK and global prosperity. That’s a big claim, but by promoting and financing international trade and investment opportunities and championing free trade, we enhance economies both here and overseas. In doing so, we create unparalleled career opportunities for our forward-thinking team.
Join us as an International Trade Trainee on our tailored development programme, and you could be at the heart of our work. We champion a highly professional and dynamic working environment that exposes our colleagues to fascinating challenges that ultimately lead to better opportunities for UK citizens and businesses. To ensure the success of our ambitious aims, we’re therefore focused on four key areas:
- We identify and secure world-class free trade agreements, and we reduce barriers to market access.
- We attract investment opportunities for the UK so that we can bolster the economic growth of all nations and regions.
- We help UK businesses take full advantage of the trade opportunities that are available to them.
- We protect UK businesses from unfair trade practices by operating the UK’s new trading system and upholding the rules-based international trading system.
We are united by a common set of values and expectations for our staff to be expert, engaged, enterprising and inclusive.
Here, your personality and passion for trade matters more to us than your employment history. That’s why, even if you haven’t worked in international business or government before, you could be the perfect fit for our exciting International Trade Development Programme.
Naturally, after two years with us, you’ll have plenty of impressive experience to add to your CV. But more importantly, you’ll be on your way to becoming one of the very best international trade professionals.
You’ll spend 18 months in UK based teams, working with other government departments to develop specific goals and policies for international trade and market access agreements, you’ll be part of a group building its capacity as a world-leading trade policy organisation.
You will also work with colleagues in the UK and abroad who find and create demand for British goods, services and inward investment opportunities. You’ll see how they’re fulfilling this demand by finding and creating a supply of export-ready UK businesses and inward investment opportunities, and by helping UK businesses to export.
At the DIT, we know that we can achieve even more if we’re working towards a shared set of goals. We have therefore shaped a common set of values that define the standards we hold ourselves to. As such, we encourage our staff to be:
- Expert: Operating across many languages and cultures, and with an exceptional network of contacts at every level, we’re committed to being Whitehall’s authority on making the UK a great trading nation.
- Engaged: With a can-do attitude and the willingness to roll up our sleeves and get stuck in, we confidently engage with other government departments and partners to share knowledge and solve problems.
- Enterprising: Combining financial nous with expertise in global trends, we support our people in thinking commercially. In a culture in which new ideas and skills are always welcomed, we empower our staff to excel.
- Inclusive: With an overarching belief that the diversity of our network will make us stronger, we champion a collaborative and open working environment in which everyone is treated fairly and equally.
What makes the DIT such a unique career prospect?
Take a couple of minutes to find out why you should consider joining us.